The Franklin Local Board of Education believes that students should, under certain prescribed circumstances, benefit from an interdistrict open enrollment policy. Guidelines for the transfer of students, based upon criteria established by the school’s administration and in conjunction with recommendations from officials of the Ohio Department of Education, are listed below. These guidelines are intended to be consistent with O.R.C. §3313.98.
This policy shall be reviewed annually by the Board to determine whether to adopt a resolution to continue the policy or to rescind Interdistrict Open Enrollment. The Board reserves the right to modify the conditions under which Interdistrict Open Enrollment would continue for any particular program, classroom, or school.
A. Any applications for an interdistrict transfer must be submitted to the Superintendent’s office of the Franklin Local School District at or during the times specified on the application. The Superintendent will act upon applications. Parents will be notified in writing of acceptance or denial. Parents/guardians must submit a letter stating acceptance of transfer to the Superintendent on or before the stated deadline. Failure to do so will void the application. One application must be submitted for each student who requests an interdistrict transfer.
1. This interdistrict open enrollment guideline applies to native students residing outside the boundaries of the Franklin Local School District.
2. No part of these guidelines applies to native students residing within the boundaries of the Franklin Local School District.
3. Interdistrict enrollment limits may be set by the local school district by grade level or on a course-by-course basis. Each building will set capacity limits for each school year, by grade or on a course-by-course basis.
4. No student, once accepted, will be displaced for the school year approved should enrollment exceed the limits stated above. The administration will determine building assignment, without guarantee that the building assignment (elementary) will prevail in subsequent years.
5. Applicants shall be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis with an assurance that native (home) students will not be displaced. Participants in previous projects will be given preference, if application is turned in by stated deadline.
C. Criteria for Acceptance
1. No student who has been suspended or expelled from school for 10 or more days during the present term or the term immediately preceding application will be accepted for open enrollment.
2. No student qualifying for special education services will be accepted if that acceptance would require the school district to institute new or additional programs or services. School districts are not required to institute any special education programs to serve transfer students.
3. No student will be accepted after capacity limits have been reached at that student’s grade level.
4. Applications rejected due to capacity limits will be held and considered to the order in which they were received until June 30 of the school year for which application was made. This also applies to kindergarten and high school applications, which may be held until June 30 so that space allocations and scheduling may be considered.
5. Students applying for acceptance under this interdistrict policy who have older siblings already accepted and attending under the policy will be given priority over other applicants if students are to be accepted.
6. All approved transfers are in effect for one school year only, and may be discontinued at the discretion of the administration in subsequent years.
7. Students who choose to withdraw from the Franklin Local School District will forfeit all special considerations or priority treatment as future applicants.
8. Athletic eligibility will be determined in accordance with the guidelines of the Ohio School Athletic Association.
9. School transportation will be provided only within the limits of the Franklin Local School District existing bus routes. Parents are responsible to deliver and pick up their children from designated bus stops or to drive them to and from school.
10. Falsification of any information will result in immediate rejection of application.
11. Superintendents may, by mutual agreement, waive the stated enrollment deadline up to the first full week of October should extenuating circumstances exist.
FRANKLIN LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
Please return completed application to Franklin Local School District, Superintendent’s Office, P.O. Box 428, 360 Cedar Street, Duncan Falls, OH 43734 before 4 PM (date). Requests will be acted upon by the Superintendent and written notification sent by (date). If student is accepted for open enrollment, parents must send a letter stating acceptance of transfer not later than 4 PM, (date). Failure to do so will void application.
Date: Student SS#
Name of Student: Birth Date:
Street City Zip
Mailing address of parent/guardian if different than above:
Present school district of residence:
School building presently attending:
Grade level of student for the ________ school year:
Name of school building requested:
Is student enrolled in any special education or tutorial programs?
If yes, please explain.
I hereby certify that the information provided above is accurate. I further understand that falsification of information may lead to a denial of acceptance, or a termination of enrollment at any time. I have read and agree to abide by the guidelines that have been established.
Signature of Parent / Guardian
No student shall be denied admission to the Franklin Local School District or to a particular course or instructional program or otherwise discriminated against for reasons of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, or any other basis of unlawful discrimination.
(For office use only)
Received by: ______________________________ Date: ________________________ Time: ____________
Approved _______________ Rejected ________________ Date: ___________________________________
Signature of official: ___________________________________________________________________________