The formation of the Franklin Local School District was the result of the consolidation of several schools throughout the years. The district now encompasses an area of 190 square miles, serving the communities of Chandlersville, Duncan Falls, Philo, and Roseville. Franklin Local is comprised of townships of Salt Creek, Rich Hill, Meigs, Blue Rock, Brush Creek, Clay, Wayne, and Harrison.
Early records indicate that the first school land purchase in what is now the Franklin district was November 11, 1827 in Brush Creek Township. There were children being taught in a log cabin before Brush Creek became a township in 1817. In Meigs Township a union school was formed in 1819 with children from Meigs, Brush Creek, Salt Creek, and Rich Hill townships in attendance. Rich Hill’s first school, Dublin, was established in 1931. One county history states that Wayne Township’s first log schoolhouse was formed in 1815. Clay Township’s first school was a log home built in 1804, and the first school in Blue Rock Township was founded in 1815. James A. Garfield, our nation’s twentieth president, taught at Black Run School in Harrison Township during the three-month spring term in 1851.
Students from Chandlersville High School began attending Philo High School in 1961, and in 1965 Chandlersville junior-high pupils started classes in Duncan Falls. In 1992, Chandlersville K-6 students were transferred to Duncan Falls Primary and Philo Intermediate Schools, and the building was closed. The Roseville School District, which became a part of Franklin in 1970, was originally comprised of seventeen schools. The former junior and senior high building on West Athens Road, Roseville, is now a 3-6 middle school.
The old Philo High School building was located in Philo and constructed in 1923. Because of the building’s proximity to Ohio Power, electricity was selected as the theme for the first high school yearbook published in 1937. The name “Electrics” was given the sport teams many years ago by a student.
Franklin Local Schools now consists of five buildings: two elementaries, one middle school, one junior high, one high school, and one community school. The current configuration is a result of an $11 million dollar construction project begun in 1995 that totaled 111,181 square feet in additions to our facilities. These additions allowed for grade level realignments and improved facilities. Roseville Elementary currently houses 184 students in grades K-3. Duncan Falls Elementary currently houses 834 students in grades K-5. Roseville Middle School currently houses 122 students in grades 4-6. Philo Junior High currently houses 522 students in grades 6-8. Philo High School currently houses 545 students in grades 9-12. Franklin Local sends a total of 141 students to the Muskingum Area Joint Vocational School.
Franklin Local Community School currently houses 65 students in grades 7-12.
The average daily attendance for the district, including those at the vocational school, as reported for the first full week in October 2009 was 2,348. The student mobility rate for 2009-2010 was: Philo High School-31%, Philo Junior High-17%, Duncan Falls Elementary-13%, Roseville Middle School-19%, Roseville Elementary-31%, and Franklin Local Community School-1%. The percentage of students receiving free or reduced lunch was: Philo High School-40%, Philo Junior High-48%, Duncan Falls Elementary493%, Roseville Middle School-83%, Roseville Elementary-84%, and Franklin Local Community School 72%. Despite these low economic indicators, Franklin Local voters have continued to support the district by passing 11 of 16 school related tax issues in the past thirty years.
In November 2003, voters supported the district by passing the "Blue Ribbon Schools for Blue Ribbon Kids" which provided a new high school and upgrades to all other existing buildings. The local share is 9.5% while the State of Ohio will provide 90.5%.
Staff and students moved to the new Philo High School in November 2006 which is located on Millers Lane in Duncan Falls.
A dedicated, caring, and well-trained staff of 153 teachers serves the students of the district. The average years of classroom experience is 15.2. The average classroom teacher salary is $49,415. For the school year 2009-2010, the per pupil expenditure was $8,853.